Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Supercharged domestic sedan showdown - Stock 2016 Cadillac CTS-V vs. stock 2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat

This is one we have been dying to see. Two American supercharged V8 brutes with four doors and a ton of power. The CTS-V of course features the LT4 supercharged and direct injected 6.2 liter V8 from the Corvette Z06 although it is 'detuned' to 640 horsepower and 630 lb-ft of torque.

Click here to enlarge

That is less power and torque than the 707 horsepower from the twin screw supercharged Hemi Hellcat 6.2 liter V8. Less torque as well as the Charger Hellcat is rated at 650 lb-ft of torque.

The ratings do not tell the story as both of these engines are underrated. The Hellcat dynos in the ~660 wheel horsepower range with ~600 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. The LT4 does not give up any torque and actually shows slightly more torque on some dyno runs but it is down by roughly ~70 rear wheel horsepower. The Hellcat's bigger 2.4 liter twin screw blower appears to have a distinct advantage.

The Hellcat needs that power to move its heavy 4560 pound behind. The CTS-V is no lightweight but it is a significant ~400 pounds lighter. Both cars have 8-speed automatic transmissions. How does it play out?

The first dig race has the Hellcat come out on top. The owner decides to give the CTS-V the hit on the second run and the CTS-V pulls away as the Charger spins its tires. It is interesting to note that the Hellcat does start to reel the Caddy in up top and would have passed it if the CTS-V did not shut down.

They move to roll races after this but there is some miscommunication in the first run as the Hellcat gets on the gas then gets off to get back on again. The second run offers a cleaner start and the Hellcat decisively pulls.

Great runs here between the two supercharged beasts but the bigger beast is the Hellcat. The amount of power Dodge is giving consumers for the money is simply incredible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hellcat is 67k where as ctsv is 83k but I'm sorry for 89k you can get a "base" viper. Dodge has the best bang for your buck when it comes to American made. Can't wait for the used hellcats to hit the market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    Hellcat is 67k where as ctsv is 83k but I'm sorry for 89k you can get a "base" viper. Dodge has the best bang for your buck when it comes to American made. Can't wait for the used hellcats to hit the market.
    Why are you comparing a minimalist sport's car to 4 door luxury sedans?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because it's 6k difference in price.

Now another comparison i'd like to see is the c63s run against these two. Cause then you'll have the low of 67k mid 73k for the c63s And the V being the most expensive at 83k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    Why are you comparing a minimalist sport's car to 4 door luxury sedans?
    I think he is pointing out more the value Dodge offers throughout their lineup when it comes to enthusiast cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now another comparison i'd like to see is the c63s run against these two. Cause then you'll have the low of 67k mid 73k for the c63s And the V being the most expensive at 83k.
    You can compare the C63 with them and it would be fun to see but the AMG fits more in the smaller turbo sport sedan class.

The C63 is not 'small' and that causes overlap but the E63 is positioned more against these two. Then again, the C63 is rear wheel drive.

Some of the niches overlap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Enjoyed seeing these REAL races versus the other crappy stuff i've seen here (MB vs BMW) 5 second clips that we hardly able to see anything buth both were claiming to be more powerful or faster haha..
    Thanks for these CLEAR, different angle recordings!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have there been reports of the CTSV heat soaking like the Z06? Based on WHP to weight, they'd be dead even. I can't imagine the Hellcat has better aero. Maybe better gearing?

I'm just wondering if the LT4 is struggling in other cars too.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Have there been reports of the CTSV heat soaking like the Z06? Based on WHP to weight, they'd be dead even. I can't imagine the Hellcat has better aero. Maybe better gearing?

-Rich

I'd assume yes and Chevy answer to fix it is get an aftermarket tune! I've been searching for hell cats and they're still at MSRP used it's nuts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great races!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd assume yes and Chevy answer to fix it is get an aftermarket tune! I've been searching for hell cats and they're still at MSRP used it's nuts.
    Sounds like the real fix is a bigger blower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RobNyc Click here to enlarge
    Enjoyed seeing these REAL races versus the other crappy stuff i've seen here (MB vs BMW) 5 second clips that we hardly able to see anything buth both were claiming to be more powerful or faster haha..
    Thanks for these CLEAR, different angle recordings!
    First of all we're not in charge of the filming.

That MB vs. BMW race you are referring to is another camera angle that gave context to previous runs. It wasn't pretty but more angles and runs provide further information to analyze.

There are six years worth of races posted and some have good quality and some don't. We can and still do enjoy them as it is not realistic for everyone to have the best equipment or edit well although it is encouraged.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge

-Rich
    It seems like the LT4 just doesn't have as strong of a top end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like the real fix is a bigger blower.
    And a twin screw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    And a twin screw.
    It having a tiny roots blower is why it doesn't have top end. This isn't going to be like the LSA, where the quickest car on the platform still has the stock blower. GM had a good idea when giving it a smaller blower for power out of the turns, but they didn't consider the problem of heatsoak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    It having a tiny roots blower is why it doesn't have top end. This isn't going to be like the LSA, where the quickest car on the platform still has the stock blower. GM had a good idea when giving it a smaller blower for power out of the turns, but they didn't consider the problem of heatsoak.
    Exactly.

I'm amazed GM engineers screwed up like this though.

Ok, the torque delivery is great. For a pull or two...

A bigger, less stressed blower makes more sense. Plus is a twin screw or 2.3 liter roots blown 6.2 liter V8 going to struggle finding torque down low anyway?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    having been in and driven the new CTS-V and Hellcat charger I must say I would pay the extra for the V. My wife and I just purchased an ATS-V for her Mommy mobile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mmmcookies335 Click here to enlarge
    having been in and driven the new CTS-V and Hellcat charger I must say I would pay the extra for the V. My wife and I just purchased an ATS-V for her Mommy mobile.
    What is it you like about the V more? Other than the obvious luxury aspects.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well luxury has alot to do with it. The power is a lot smoother in the V, the Hellcat is real raw (some may like that?). The handling in the V is hands down superior to the Hellcat in every way. Under-steer in and out of the apex is minimal on the V. You can power over-steer easily but it is predicable and easy to get back. get it up to 100 and slam on the brakes the car doesn't dive. Just a really nice driving car. The Hellcat is well... a TYPICAL Merican car. Cant handle its way out of a parking lot. under-steer is immense. 80 mph into a turn, hard brake right before the turn using the weight of the car to reduce under-steer doesn't work, you can power over-steer but you better hold the $#@! on because its not coming back.

Don't get me started on the creaking noises from literally everywhere in the Hellcat. The dash creaks, the doors creak, the steering knocks (very faint but you can hear it), the brake pads shuffle when you are in reverse. Now I know that new cars creak a little until the car gets worn int sotospeak but ... the V didn't do any of that. The dodge hellcat is just a big POS i'm sorry. and for 707 horses its a slow $#@!ing boat. my wife's Ats-v would spank it.

just my .02 cent Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mmmcookies335 Click here to enlarge
    well luxury has alot to do with it. The power is a lot smoother in the V, the Hellcat is real raw (some may like that?). The handling in the V is hands down superior to the Hellcat in every way. Under-steer in and out of the apex is minimal on the V. You can power over-steer easily but it is predicable and easy to get back. get it up to 100 and slam on the brakes the car doesn't dive. Just a really nice driving car. The Hellcat is well... a TYPICAL Merican car. Cant handle its way out of a parking lot. under-steer is immense. 80 mph into a turn, hard brake right before the turn using the weight of the car to reduce under-steer doesn't work, you can power over-steer but you better hold the $#@! on because its not coming back.

Don't get me started on the creaking noises from literally everywhere in the Hellcat. The dash creaks, the doors creak, the steering knocks (very faint but you can hear it), the brake pads shuffle when you are in reverse. Now I know that new cars creak a little until the car gets worn int sotospeak but ... the V didn't do any of that. The dodge hellcat is just a big POS i'm sorry. and for 707 horses its a slow $#@!ing boat. my wife's Ats-v would spank it.

just my .02 cent Click here to enlarge
    I think you make a valid point. The CTS-V is the lighter car and actually the better driver's car.

The Hellcat is just a brick with a ton of horsepower. Which is fun in its own way and a value to boot.

Can't go wrong with either but I agree with your points on the CTS-V.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, well like you said, they are both fun in their own way. I do alot of road racing (VIR, Road atlanta, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio) so to me the clear winner was the V. If I just liked to go to car meets at gas stations and do burnout alot... the Hellcat would win! lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Drag radial + Tune Cts-V - 11.3@127